Sunday, May 18, 2008

YIKES?!

Does life ever get on the fast track for you? It is like someone has a remote controller that controls your life and they hit the fast forward button. My life seems to go through cycles of that. I cannot believe the last time I wrote one of these was in January. At least it was this year.

I have a friend, who is always encouraging me regarding my blog, so this one is for her. Annette, thank you for taking the time to encourage me. I really appreciate it.

I was reading in my Bible today, which is something I have not done a lot of lately. When my life gets on fast forward, it seems that my times with God are the first thing to go.

Why? I am not sure. It is definitely one of the most important parts of my day. I think I begin to think that I can handle my life just fine on my own. Then I find out that I cannot. I really always knew I couldn't, but something always assures me I can.

Back to my Bible, I was reading in 1 John and verse 3 says this: "See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are." It actually says more, but this is the part that really spoke to me.

Those of us who went to Sunday School are regularly taught that we are the children of God, but I think sometimes God will take those truths that we all ready know and increase our understanding of them. He has done that for me. Really He has placed within me the desire to have a greater understanding. It is like a treat to a child knowing they will take it and want more.

I have found that when I want to study a scripture I need to know what all of the words in the scripture mean. Some are just plain obvious, but others I need to look up and really understand their definitions.

"Bestowed" is just such a word. I have an inkling of what it means, but I really want to understand it fully. When I looked it up, I found this definition: to present as a gift or an honor.

This verse reminds me again that nothing I do will earn my right as a child of God. It is a gift and an honor.

Do you know how much God loves you? He loves you so much he gave you the gift of sonship or daughtership, if you will accept it. I encourage you to find the God that freely brings you into His family by His Son, Jesus. Know that you are loved with no requirements other than believing in Jesus and the gift He gave of His life for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the fast tract. We've experienced that all fall and winter.
I thought I would read Genesis last week and all I've been able to get read was the first two chapters. I asked David lots of questions and then Ron used some of the verses today in the sermon My thoughts hadn't even gone there at all when I was studying last week. Some times I read the Word like you do, wanting to know what all the words mean. At those times it sure is interesting to see where that can lead. Love Annette

Becky said...

What a lovly post Jess.

It is nice to see you journaling again....keep it up. I check in often.

Miss you guys....what does your schedule look like for the summer? Are you staying close to home?